Daizydee

Through the Smoke
Brenda Novak
How To Tame Your Duke
Juliana Gray
Painted by the Sun - Elizabeth Grayson What a wonderful story! I loved it!!! Very smooth and flowing writing with great secondary characters. Lots of angst and PTSD here, but none of the "big misunderstanding" type thing, thankfully. Great emotions that will pull you right in and make you feel as if you are in the story and that you know these people and understand them.
This story is set in the 1870s Colorado. Shea Waterston is a traveling photographer who is searching for her son that she had to give up 10 years prior while living in NY. When her circumstances changed, she went back to get her son, he was no longer there and after investigating, she found out he was sent west on an orphan train. After her husband died, she went west to look for him with Owen Brandt, her elderly friend and assistant.
While in Colorado trying to take a picture of a hanging she is stopped by the Judge, Cameron Gallimore. Later, she gets shot while coming across a scene where Cam was about to be hanged by some bad guys. She saved him, but was severely wounded. Cam takes her to his house to recover where she gets to know his family and Dr friend. Lots of plot twists and turns, very engaging.
Shea and Cam both have dark secrets that are destroying them and these secrets could also destroy everyone they care about.