Daizydee

Through the Smoke
Brenda Novak
How To Tame Your Duke
Juliana Gray
A Duke's Temptation The Bridal Pleasures Series - Jillian Hunter 5 starts for the romance part of the story, 3 stars for leaving me scratching my head over some of the things that trouble me about the story.
Lily was engaged to another man, but while at a party, she met Samuel ( He is a writer of her favorite books, but she doesn't know this secret identity part of him) and it was love/lust at first sight for both of them. They went for a private walk, had the passionate kiss and he realized she was "the one" They clicked, they understood each other yada yada. He did not know she was engaged and had papers made up that night asking her father permission to court and marry Lily. Thankfully, his man of affairs discovered she was engaged before the papers were sent. He was regretful but decided to keep an eye on her and was making plans to perhaps whisk her away from the altar.
Lily, in the mean time, witnesses her fiance' and his friend in an altercation that led to murder. Now this is the part I don't get... She tells her family that she saw her fiance shoot and kill a man, but no one believes her. Why? Because she reads too much and her fiance convinces them it didn't happen. Now, why would they not believe her? Was she given to crazy impossible stories in the past? No, not that we know of. I just don't get this, they seem like a close family, this makes no sense at all.
Well she ends up as housekeeper to Samuel, the Duke. He tries first to take her on a crazy adventure, like something out of one of his books, but she wasn't buying it.
The story progressed well from there, and I really did love the rest, aside from some unanswered issues. We never find out why he can't remember the fire. The whole villain thing seemed unfinished. I think there should have been more to Samuel's sisters story.